In an email addressed to all Stanford students, Provost Persis Drell and Vice Provost for Student Affairs Susie Brubaker-Cole announced that Stanford will expand the 5-SURE campus escort service and Cardinal Nights non-alcoholic social programming in an effort to better address alcohol use concerns in an academic environment.

These initiatives “re-engage campus in a thoughtful and comprehensive approach to lessen high-risk drinking.” The two programs — expanded this year after a “generous” one-time donation — have increased in popularity during the 2017-2018 academic year, with 22,000 people attending Cardinal Nights and 10,500 passengers using 5-SURE.

Calling for engagement by the Stanford community, Drell and Brubaker-Cole also announced plans to launch various new initiatives, including becoming a JED Campus, to address factors related to high-risk drinking.

“There is … a growing body of evidence to suggest that binge drinking in particular can cause persistent brain injury at the exact time in life when there is the absolute most to gain (or lose) in terms of education and growth,” they wrote. “We cannot turn away from this, given we are here to provide the very best environment for your education.”

Cardinal Nights announces Winter events

The next 6 Cardinal Nights events are:

Thursday 1/24 | 8-10pm
Bob Ross Paint Night
Oak Lounge
Come paint and enjoy the lovely sights and sounds of Bob Ross.
(Free with SUID)

Friday 1/25 | 9-11:30pm
Nerdology Trivia Night
Cubberley Auditorium
(Free to all students!)
Join up in teams and compete in trivia, challenges, and more for awesome prizes!

Friday 2/1 | 9pm film start
Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald screening
Location TBD.

Saturday 2/2
VIC Bowling
No dorm tickets allowed.

Thursday 2/7 | 8pm – 11pm
Board Game Night
Old Union 1st floor –
Free to all students.

Friday 2/8 | 8pm – 10pm
Conversation Heart stuff-a-pillow
Cypress Room/Tressider 2nd Floor
Free with SUID. Limit 1 pillow per person.

See the complete list of Winter Cardinal Nights events here, and for further updates check the Cardinal Nights Facebook page or contact CardinalNights@stanford.edu.

A note on Cardinal Nights ticket pricing

The Cardinal Nights’ 60/40 plan will be in place for all ticket sales to Cardinal Nights’ events during the 2018-2019 academic year. This payment plan is for dorms that seek to purchase group tickets for Cardinal Nights events. 

These tickets will be guaranteed, along with transportation if necessary for the event. The ticket prices you receive will not be the ticket price listed on any of the eventbrite ticketing pages. You will receive the same group discount price that Cardinal Nights receive from its source.

We then will pay 40% of that ticket cost, leaving you to pay the 60% difference. In most instances we will round down to the lowest cost to make tickets an even price.

Stanford Resources